Amazing results

I usually have scoffed at the reward instead of punish track taken by many educators who do presentations of some sort. Not anymore. Today, two of my classes were really loud and talktative. It gets that way sometimes, and it can be very annoying, especially when I have been sick and don't feel well. In one class, I kept saying, "Quiet please!" and I had to say that about 10-15 times in that class. The next class was also very talkative, so I said, "I need to be able to hear you today, so I will give RATTLE cards to students who raise their hands and wait to be called on." The room was silent in an instant, and for most of the class. If they started talking again during the lecture portion, I asked a question and as I called on a student to answer, I gave her a RATTLE card and said, "Thanks for raising your hand and waiting to be called on..." That got everyone to be quiet again if it got out of hand. I was amazed. I am going to start doing some sort of class wide reward system with the students later this week or next week. I think it will help them even more.

2 comments:

    I was amazed when I discovered the words, "Thanks for raising your hand." It works so well. It seems stupid that you would have to thank students for raising their hands, but it is so effective. I say it about 25 times a day even when they're not talking out. It's a great preventative tool.

    A good punishment my social studies/language arts/homeroom teacher uses is if you are late to/bad in class, you gou out into the halls and pick up 60 pieces of trash. It's fun to watch when 1/2 the class is late.

    Eli