Monday, May 5, 2014 by Jethro Jones
In this second part of my interview with the amazing Chris Wejr, we go deeper into the ideas of student discipline and learning. We also discuss some other cool things that are happening at his school.
- Punishment. How to approach it correctly.
- How do we help students with disabilities.
- How to deal with parents of victims that are upset that there are not visible consequences for misbehavior.
- If we don’t teach this child, he will continue doing this.
- Following up with parents a couple weeks after an incident to ensure it is not still happening.
- Restorative practices - should be tied to negative behaviors.
- Finding opportunities for kids to serve others.
- Be proactive to find opportunities to prevent problems that may arise.
- FedEx Prep - giving teachers time to be innovative and productive on their own with their own passions.
- Advice for being a transformative principal. “It comes from the teachers, of course. I can’t transform something in a classroom.”
- Something in his office that motivates him. I asked him to send me the picture of him with the paddle.