Sunday, February 21, 2016 by Jethro Jones
Kimberly Miles is the principal of East Gresham Elementary School. 425 kids, mobility rate 64 students moving in and out since the beginning of the year. 33 percent ELL students. SUN School - community support in the school.
- Turnaround principal.
- Everyone had the choice to leave or apply to stay.
- Looking for a willingness to do what works.
- How are we as a team going to fulfill that need for our kids?
- So much work to be done. Where would you start first for equitable student achievement?
- Are you willing to do the work?
- Building a culture of change. We GET to do this, and isn’t that exciting?
- As a leader, I go fast. Go slow to go fast.
- 3 things we did: 1. Culture change 2. Targeted Professional Development 3. Effective instruction
- Focus on literacy. How to teach the Big 5 in literacy.
- Grit and growth mindset.
- I can’t do it, yet.
- Feedback and trust are vital.
- Learning to trust each other and admit that I don’t know.
- Willingness to try something different.
Ready for a Modern Web Site for your school? Simple School Sites is the place to go for high quality Wordpress sites specially designed for schools.
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.