Sunday, April 10, 2016 by Jethro Jones
Jon Laffoon is the principal of Pea Ridge High School in Arkansas, where they are using a dynamic schedule called the flex mod schedule to allow time to serve students, rather than students serving time. It is pretty remarkable and impressive.
- Flex Mod schedule
- Form of a block schedule. Certain classes that might meet 4 days a week or 3 days a week.
- Videos explaining the schedule
- Empower the teachers - get them out of their silos
- The gray ILT times keep the classes from conflicting.
- The schedule to look at
- Independent learning time: with great power comes great responsibility.
- Designing a PE unit based on their fitness goals.
- 210 clock minutes whether you meet 3 days or 4 days a week.
- ILT time is class time.
- Many teachers have flipped their classes.
- 60% of students each year were going to a 2 year or 4 year institution. Only 25–30% of students were staying in school.
- SLT Structured Learning Time is some RTI time.
- 2000-student high school designed for the Flex Mod schedule.
- Teachers don’t teach in the same rooms every day.
- Teachers offices are moved to the big classrooms which have been converted to commons areas.
- Rotating schedule made it so we didn’t have to build more classrooms.
- River Bluff
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.