Monday, July 28, 2014 by Jethro Jones
My (former) school district recently hired a new superintendent, and I was able to sit down and chat with him. I think he is just what the district needs and I am really excited for what he will bring to the table. We talked about the following:
- Where Dr. Briscoe got his start in education and in administration
- His diverse experience as a leader of schools that were from incredibly high-achieving to greatly struggling.
- Engaging in the community by being involved in community issues (building new police station, hospital, etc.)
- The political struggles that lead Dr. Briscoe to retirement from his school district.
- Why he felt like Canyons School District was a good match for him.
- Why it is so important to be out and about and seen.
- How to build trust. Time.
- What happened in the past, is in the past. Let’s not worry about it.
- The culture he wants to create: Trust & Collaboration.
- Honoring the past.
- How he measures the success of his superintendency, not to be confused with his job description.
- Why that measure of success is so important.